Monday, November 06, 2006

My fat lip

I've been thinking of my childhood and my little brother a lot lately, when a particular memory came to my mind.

My brother and I didnt really have a lot to do in our small town of Hamilton, Illinois-especially in the winter.. so we made up things to do and we were expected to play outside.. for a large majority of the day,after all- that's just what you did in a farm community.

This one day however, it was blistering cold and snowing, it was probably a snow day. My dad worked for General Mills and brought home these 50 gallon drums (sometimes they were full of the berries they would use in cereals) but mostly they were empty and he would use them for his household projects.

and I noticed that there was this PERFECT circle of ice
on the top of the barrel lid
<---
I told my brother that we should lick it
and he didnt want too..
So I decided that I was going to.
After all, it was the PERFECT ice to
lick.. and it wasnt dirty... or scratched
up.. and touched in any way..
The Ice was calling my name.. and my brother was
telling me to do it.. so I walked over to the drum..
stuck out my tongue...

and


the



inside



of my



bottom



lip


was drawn to the ice like dark forces had somehow possed my lip. Yep, I was stuck! By this time, my brother was partly laughing and crying out of concern. I tried to have him go get our mother but of course, younger brothers are of no use to you, when you are hurt and waiting for the wolves to come and get you.

I sounded like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz.. squeeking out.. "Get some water"

Finally, I just had to pull my lip off the ice- but all the drool seemed to help just enough. I tell ya, those were the days!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think every kid who grows up in the Midwest is required to freeze themselves to a metal object at least once in their lives. Owie.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home